Re the previous two posts.
As I mentioned earlier today, there’s more than one thing hinky about one of the local TV station’s website. I now know exactly how I got myself stuck in membership hell. Follow along:
- open your favorite browser.
- go to www.king5.com
- enter a search like, say, “one car”
- enter another, “two trucks”
- another, “three buses”
- another, “four boats”
- another, “five bikes”
- another, “one more than I’m allowed”
oops… membership hell page.
- press the backspace key, nope still here
- click on your browser’s back button, nope still here
(You can escape by using the list of recently visited pages next to your back button.)Are you thinking what I’m thinking?
That’s right, you can only search for five things or search for one thing in five ways before they cut you off and try to make you sign up on the “membership” page.
You can try closing the browser tab and opening a new one it but it won’t help. You can try closing your browser and opeing a new one. It won’t help. You can try opening a different browser (like IE7 instead of Firefox) This will help. You now get five more searches and then it’s… back to the membership hell page.
If all this opening and closing and switching brands of browsers is making you crazy and you use Firefox 2.x I can help you out. Go to the top menu bar:
- click on Tools=>Option,
- click on the Show Cookies button in the Cookies section,
- Scroll down to the little folder that says king5.com,
- highlight the little folder and,
- click Remove Cookies.
You now get another five searches before you’re sent back to…
Lest you folks over at KING5 think I’m picking on you… (I am.) I think I’ll have a little lunch and then wander around the neighborhood (mediawise) and see what some of your neighbors are up to.